|Known Relations||The Smurfs (Family)|
Palladore (Childhood Guardian)
|Voice Actor||Don Messick (Original)
Jack Angel (Current/Desired)
|First Appearance||Original: "The Smurfs and the Magic Flute" Comic (1958)
Fanon: "Smurfs in the City" Season 1
To see a full list of episodes in which he appears, please CLICK HERE.
- 1 Background Information
- 2 Relationship with Brainy Smurf
- 3 Notable Relationships with Other Smurfs
- 4 Relationship with Moxette Smurfette
- 5 Relations with Humans
- 6 Appearance
- 7 Trivia
Papa Smurf is one of the oldest Smurfs in the village at over 553 years, and has the white beard to prove it. When he was a Smurfling, his father, Grandpa Smurf, left the village in search of the purest of the four primal elements for the Long Life Stone in order to keep the Smurfs in the village aging properly and able to live out a full 1,000 years. During the time waiting for his return, Papa always dabbled in alchemy and realized his potential as a wizard when he was an adult Smurf.
Sometime after his 400th birthday, he adopted 97 Smurflings (whom he calls his "little Smurfs" despite them all being adults by now) and raised them as his own. From time to time, he has lost his patience with them, but even with all the trouble they can get into, he continues to love them unconditionally.
Role in the Village
Since adopting his little Smurfs, he has become the assumed Village Leader and has used his magic to help their village prosper through good and bad times. He is constantly using his wisdom and knowledge of both magic and science to protect them from various forms of dangers that exist in the Smurf forest. At times, he must make sacrifices in order to protect his little Smurfs. His concern is more for them than for himself, so it is not uncommon for him to step forward and offer to give himself up in their place. Other times, however, he will help Gargamel or other villains if it means keeping a much more threatening force from hurting the village or the forest.
At one point, he convinced the other Smurfs to bring Gargamel back to his hovel in the forest after being hired as Prince Theodore's personal alchemist so they could keep an eye on him. If Gargamel and Scruple had stayed in the castle, they could have wreaked more havoc.
Relationship with Brainy Smurf
Papa Smurf appointed Brainy as his personal assistant after Brainy single-handedly saved the other Smurflings from certain doom that was unleashed by an Imp named Hotap, which gave Papa enough time to defeat Hotap for good. Ever since then, he has been teaching Brainy all he knows of magic, science, and general life lessons in the hopes that he will someday make a fine leader. He stands behind this decision for Brainy despite his assistant's sense of entitlement, hubris, and self-absorbed behaviors -- all of which Papa deems are unsmurfy human-like qualities exhibited.
Notable Relationships with Other Smurfs
- Nanny Smurf -- For 500 years, she had been missing until she was discovered as a prisoner of Castle Captor and swiftly rescued. Papa has a mutually respectful relationship with her, viewing her in a mother/sister sort of way. He is aware of the secret she keeps from the other Smurfs and respects her regardless of what she chooses to do with her life.
- Smurfette -- He had expressed some romantic interest in her when she first arrived to the village, but after some time getting to know her and seeing how she turned down the other, younger Smurfs offerings to be their lover, his feelings have waned. Now they have a more father/daughter type of relationship, and he treats her as equally as his other little Smurfs while still being sensitive about her feelings.
- Sassette -- After transforming her into a true Smurfling, he grew to adore her in a daughterly way and has even accepted her calling him "Pappy Smurf." He was also pleased when the other Smurfs (especially Smurfette) readily adopted her into the village. He enjoys watching her grow and learn beside her friends and family, and he hopes she will grow into a beautifully intelligent and independent Smurfette.
Relationship with Moxette Smurfette
- Season 1 -- Papa was very displeased with Peewit for creating a Smurfette, but Moxette was readily accepted into the village despite her initial hesitation over the idea. He comes to realize that she mocks other Smurfs in ways that are not meant to be hurtful, and all but Brainy find them spot-on and comedic. Now and again, Papa Smurf will remind her to be wary of one's "sore spots" when doing her impersonations, such as making Hefty feel emasculated when he is unable to exercise due to an injury, but he rarely needs to tell her twice.
- Season 2 -- Pending...
- Season 3 -- Pending...
- Season 4 -- Pending...
- Season 5 -- Pending...
Relations with Humans
Papa Smurf is good friends with many humans from throughout all mainstream and fandom media alike.
The Good King's Castle
The most commonly seen humans from the King's castle include Johan and Peewit, who visit the village from time to time to assist the Smurfs, request assistance, or simply to spend time with them. Papa also directly knows Princess Savina and enjoys whenever she is able to pay them a visit, which is rare considering Dame Barbara's strict schedule for her within the kingdom.
Although the King is aware of the Smurfs' existence, he does not ever leave his castle, nor do the Smurfs go out of their way to visit him unless it's for an important matter, so Papa does not know him as well as he would like.
In regards to Falla, Papa gladly welcomes her into the village when she is travelling with Johan and Peewit and enjoys conversing with her. He has found her to be exceptionally intelligent, a good listener, and a strong fighter when called into action. He has often wondered whether or not she will want to marry based on the role a wife plays in their time era, but hopes that if she does, she will be happy with her lover and be accepted as she is.
King Gerard's Castle
Papa is also good friends with King Gerard after the Smurfs helped him overthrow his Aunt Imperia, thus allowing him to claim the thrown he rightfully deserved. His majesty has always been grateful for their help and is always willing to help the Smurfs when needed. Likewise, Papa is happy to pay him a visit for recreational purposes or emergencies (although he prefers the first idea).
Likewise, he also enjoys hearing from his personal advisor and best friend, Clockwork Smurf from time to time. Occasionally he will visit the village to see the other Smurfs and his girlfriend, Clockette.
Prince Theodore's Castle
Prince Theodore is a lesser-known royal figure with whom Papa is fairly well acquainted.
- Season 1 -- After the Smurfs restored him to his human form after being turned into a frog by his Court Magician, thus returning him to his rightful place as prince -- and saving him from entering a one-sided marriage -- Theodore has always been available for his little blue friends. Papa enjoys his sometimes naïve, optimistic way of thinking and encourages him to be more willing to express his romantic side because "that's what makes [him] so smurfy."
- Season 4 -- Pending...
Papa is easily identified because he, unlike his fellow Smurfs, wears a red Smurf hat and trousers, and has a scruffy white beard with matching eyebrows.
After the legendary Don Messick, a suitable voice actor for Papa would be Jack Angel, who voiced the role in The Legend of Smurfy Hollow (2014).
- His original hair color was a shade of earthy brown, as discovered from several episodes from the original cartoon show. The only time he was seen with brown hair present times was when he dyed it to impress Flowerbell the Imp.
- He enjoys tea in such flavors as Smurfberry, Earl Grey, and Lemongrass.